Many players tend to think some quests end after finishing a certain act. While this is true for some, other missions must be followed up after reaching a certain point. An example of these quests in Baldur’s Gate 3 is the ‘Free the Artist’ one that you can pick up in Act 1. If you have the quest and don’t know how to progress to see its conclusion, we’ve prepared a guide to tell you how to complete the ‘Free the Artist’ quest in Baldur’s Gate 3 and solve all its puzzles.
How to Complete ‘Free the Artist’ in Baldur’s Gate 3
The ‘Free the Artist’ quest in Baldur’s Gate 3 consists of two big stages. A short one during Act 1 and a long one in Act 3. For the first one, here’s how to obtain it and complete it:
- The easiest way to pick up the quest is by doing the ‘Find the Missing Shipment‘ quest. This will lead you to the Zhentarim hideout.
- If you don’t do the above step, you can find the hideout by going to Waukeen’s Rest. Look for the storehouse with the crates outside. Remove the crates, speak with the guard, and enter.
- Once inside the Hideout, head to where Oskar is painting. You can kill everyone to free Oskar or buy him from his captors by paying 1000 or 600 gold.
This is where the first part of the ‘Free the Artist’ quest ends in Act 1. However, you can finish this quest in Act 3 in the Lower City area; we’ll tell you how to do it here.
Lady Jannath’s Estate
The next part of this quest begins in the Lower City of Baldur’s Gate, and you must head to Lady Jannath’s Estate. When you enter, you’ll notice several things flying around and hitting you; however, you won’t be able to see any enemies. If you want to see them, you can drink a ‘See Invisibility’ potion, and you’ll spot many poltergeists that you can beat to progress. Yet, we don’t recommend you do this. Instead, follow these steps:
- Enter Lady Jannath’s Estate and head to the second floor.
- Head to the rightmost room to see a haunted Oskar.
- Use non-lethal attacks to subdue Oskar (go to the passive tab in your hotbar to toggle these attacks).
- Speak to Lady Jannath, who’ll send you to Oskar’s atelier on the top floor.
- Combine Oskar’s painting with the easel to open the secret door in the Atelier.
- Read the letters to find out Oskar was in love with someone else and asked the Mystic Carrion to help him.
Here, the quest will get stuck for a while as you won’t be able to lift the mansion’s curse, which is riddled with poltergeists. If you want to eliminate it, you must defeat the Mystic Carrion or help him; we have a full guide to tell you how to do it.
How to Lift the Curst in Jannath’s Estate
First, you need to help or defeat Mystic Carrion. Doing so will give you the Torch of Revocation, which you can use to burn the painting in the atelier’s secret room. Afterward, head back to the room where Jannath and Oskar are to decide the latter’s fate.
For those who already finished the quest in previous runs or just want to see all the objectives to see if they missed any, here’s a summary of everything, so you don’t have to go over the information you already know.
- Save Oskar from the Zentharim Hideout in Act 1.
- Enter Lady Jannath’s Estate in Act 3.
- Reach the mansion’s second floor.
- Subdue Oskar with non-lethal attacks.
- Head to the Mystic Carrion’s House and either defeat him or finish his quest.
- Get the Torch of Revocation.
- Return to the mansion and head to the atelier on the top floor.
- Use the torch with the painting inside the atelier’s secret room.
The ‘Free the Artist’ quest in Baldur’s Gate 3 is a fun but challenging quest you should do. It’ll lead you to meet new characters and get rewards for certain classes. Plus, it is a great example of how the game connects everything, and even the smallest consequence can lead to a bigger quest. So, prepare to explore and hunt some supernatural beings in this mission.
Baldur’s Gate 3 is available now on PC.